Day 1: Phong Nha - Ban Doong Village - En Cave
Start your ultimate adventure with a pickup from your hotel in Phong Nha between 7.30 and 8.00 am and a short transfer to Headquarters. Learn all about safety collect your gear and sign our Release Form before driving 45 mins through the National Park to reach the trailhead. At 10.00 am, leave the road behind the jungle.
A steep jungle hill starts the journey, with a refreshing river at the bottom. Hike through the rich primary forest to reach the Ban Doong minority village, where a hot cup of tea welcomes you. Feast on a picnic lunch which takes place shortly afterward at about 12.30 – 1.00 pm, near the river.
Then it’s back into the jungle, through rivers and streams, and along the river valley until En Cave lays on the horizon.
Enter En Cave around 3.00 pm, and take a quick rest as the porter team sets up camp on the beach in the cave. For the next couple of hours, complete the adventure by preceding the rest of the way through the cave to the breathtaking exit, a scene made famous in the film Pan.
Return to camp through the dry passage to the viewpoint high above camp, where 300 million-years-old fossils can be seen. Enjoy your downtime relaxing or swimming in the natural pool before a sizzling grilled dinner is served, complete with rice wine and the sounds of swifts overhead.
Day 2: En Cave - Lanh Cave - Phong Nha
Awake at 8.00 am for breakfast and pack up your belongings. Depart camp at 9.00 am to leave En Cave. Take one last look at the entrance, almost hidden amongst the jungle and then trek 1 km along a riverside path with several river crossings and upstream to Lanh Cave entrance. Arrive around 10 am, and spend the next two hours exploring the first km of Hang Cave, which has earned the name “Cold Cave” for a reason! This is a 4 km long wet cave with magnificent formations, a cold river inside, and many rare fossils.
Have lunch with your group from 12.00 – 1.00 pm, and then it’s time to start the journey home. Trek for the next hour along a shady path through the river valley.
And then from 2.00 – 4.00 pm, make your way up the hill to the pickup point, where our driver will be waiting to take you back to civilization. Return to Phong Nha between 4.30 – 5.30 pm.
We will provide:
– Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag
– Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
– Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
– Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
– Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
– Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
– Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
– Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
– Water purifier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle
– Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
– First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
– Secure Storage Facility at Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
You Will Need:
– 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
– 1 pair of shorts and a t-shirt to wear at the campsite (warmer clothes in winter)
– 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
– 1 pair of the flip-flop (sandals) for the campsite
– 1 medium size towel and swimwear
– 1 - 2 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
– Medium size backpack (25 L) for your water bottle, personal belongings and provided caving helmet
– Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
– If you are trekking in the colder months (December to March) please bring additional warm clothes for the evening