Day 1: Phong Nha – Nuoc Nut Cave - Va Cave jungle camp
8.00 – 8.30 am: We will pick you up at your hotel in Phong Nha and drive to Headquarters. At the Headquarters, you will collect your gear, listen to a tour briefing and please be noted that you need to sign our Release Form before driving 45 minutes through the National Part to the trailhead.
From the trailhead, we will enter the jungle and hike to the entrance of Nuoc Nut Cave. Here we put on our Petzl helmets and Hope Technology 1500 lumen headlamps. Once inside the low opening, the cave enlarges dramatically and we explore the high-level series with excellent photographic opportunities. We have a picnic lunch with ice cold drinks provided before setting off in the cave for around 2 kilometers. Enjoy the beautiful formations, enormous passage and Underground River, again with many photographic opportunities.
Leaving the cave you will trek on a jungle path which though short is on a tough and difficult terrain. The jungle campsite is located at the base of huge cliffs next to the entrance of Va Cave. The camp will be set up and tea/coffee will be supplied as well as a delicious dinner served by our local chef. This is a true jungle camp and a great experience around the campfire listening to the jungle noises.
Day 2: Va Cave – Phong Nha
Today is the highlight of the expedition. Before experiencing this fantastic cave, Va Cave, you will have a delicious breakfast at around 8.00 am.
First, you will have to climb down the steep entrance of Va Cave. It can be quite slippery, so move slowly and with care. To ensure your safety, we will have a rope for you to clip into with a harness which will be provided for you. You will continue to wear the harness at all times inside Va Cave.
After that, if we are early, there is a chance to swim in a downstream pool inside Va Cave before heading upstream. You will walk most of the time in water flowing through the river passage, climb up and down, and squeeze between the rocks. The water level of the river passage can be as high as chest level, so be ready to be wet for about 4 hours.
When you reach the end of the wet passage, you will need to use the harness again to carefully climb up to the high-level passage. You will be amazed by this high-level area because of its stunning formations, really rare throughout the world. In this area, we will have a lot of time to take beautiful images with the support of Hope technology and extra lights prepared specifically for photography in Va Cave.
Finally, we will head back to the camp, enjoy lunch and at around 2.00 pm, walk back to the road by a different route to the pickup point. Our driver will take you back to your hotel in Phong Nha at about 5.00 pm.
Price: 362 USD/person
WE WILL PROVIDE:
– Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves, harness
– Camping gear: hammock (with mosquito net), camp light, sleeping bag
– Semi-dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside your backpack
– Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
– Meals: picnic lunch (Day 1), BBQ dinner (Day 1), breakfast (Day 2), lunch (Day 2)
– Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
– Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare meals
– Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
– Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
– Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using Western toilet seat
– First Aid Kit (application by guides only)
YOU WILL NEED:
– 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
– 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
– 2 pair of calf-length densely woven socks (not ankle socks)
– 1 backpack to hold personal items
– 1 small towel
– 1 set of camp clothes (shorts are okay for around camp, please bring a fleece in winter)
– 1 pair of the flip-flop (sandals) for the campsite
– 1 change of clothes for after the tour
– Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwears, toiletries